Atomic Cartoons Inc. is an award-winning full-service animation studio located in Vancouver's busy Animation District. Since its inception almost 19 years ago, Atomic Cartoons has created, produced and financed numerous animation productions for television series, commercials and music videos. Our crew is made up of 250 of Canada’s most creative animators, directors, producers and writers, and with multiple high profile projects underway this is a great opportunity to join our team!
- Lead Texture/ Look Development Artist -
A Lead Look Development Artist works with the Look Development Supervisor to define all the technical and creative needs to construct the appearance for CG assets for a particular project. The Look Development Artist should be able to use a variety of tools and renderman to satisfy a production’s creative needs.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Work with the show supervisors to create final looks, templates and materials for CG characters and environments to be used in production and interpret artistic direction from Supervisors.
Work with the supervisor of a show, define shader requirements, create shader networks in Renderman for Maya and Katana, modify shader parameters, apply texture maps, and iteratively refine the look to accomplish the art direction goals and integrate solutions into production pipeline.
Lead team members in determining various design and technical solutions; provide feedback to other team members of the production.
Provide assistance for technical art issues that arise within the pipeline
Mentors all texture/ look development artists on team
Responsible for creating all texture maps for application to creatures, props and environments
Write and/or modify custom shaders, define standard render passes for a project
Work with a team of artists in a hands-on capacity to ensure technically and artistically proper implementation of look developed assets
Keep other supervisors apprised of issues arising in pre-production and shot production and offer creative solutions to those issues.
Exceeds consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high quality work
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
• Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, Computer Animation, or other relevant area of study and/or equivalent job experience
• 5+ years of Industry experience (CG and/or Visual Effects)
• Proficient in Maya, Mari and/or Substance Painter, photoshop, Zbrush and/or Mudbox
• Proficient in Katana and Renderman
• Substance Designer knowledge a plus
• Modelling skills a plus
• Shader development a plus
• Ability to communicate creative and technical ideas
• Excellent visual skills and attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
• Linux operating system experience a plus
• Experience with Python scripting a plus.
• Experience using Shotgun for production tracking, submitting and publishing is an asset
• Must be able to work in-house at our Vancouver studio
• Must be able to legally work in Canada
START DATE: Fall 2018
Show us what you would like to contribute to Atomic by providing us with relevant examples of your previous work along with your resume and cover letter. Please apply online with your Resume, Cover Letter, Portfolio/Demo Reel and/or Website URL.
We thank you for your submission; only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.